5 Best Cheap Car Insurance Companies: Indiana (2022)
*Not all companies have been included in our rate estimates for each state. Also, you may notice that some auto insurance companies are listed above those with higher star ratings. This is because our ratings consider national factors, while our ranking for this article specifically looks at the best insurance providers for car insurance in Indiana.
We believe Geico Auto Insurance is the overall best choice for Indiana auto insurance. With Geico, many people find rates below the state average, and the company offers a number of car insurance perks and discounts.
Geico stands for Government Employees Insurance Company. Although Geico now insures more than government employees, the company still gives federal employees a discount. Geico has the highest financial rating from AM Best, which means the company can manage its assets and handle claims with ease. Geico also has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
Speaking of claims, Geico scored 837 out of a possible 1,000 points in the 2021 JD Power U.S. Auto Insurance Study.SM for the North Central region (which includes Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin). This puts Geico just below the 839 point average.
If you’ve just bought a new car, you can take advantage of Geico Mechanical Breakdown Insurance when you purchase car insurance in Indiana. This program is similar to an automobile warranty extension and covers the failure of the mechanical parts of your car.
Indiana drivers can also get the DriveEasy app. This is Geico’s usage-based program that offers discounts based on your driving skills.
To learn more about the car insurance provider, check out our full review of Geico car insurance.
Erie was founded in 1925 and currently offers insurance in the District of Columbia and 12 states. Erie has a financial rating of A+ from AM Best and an A+ rating from BBB.
The company really shines in its shopping experience. According to participants in JD Power’s 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Satisfaction SurveySM, Erie offers easy claims filing, great policy offers and a low price. Erie ranked third for medium-sized insurers.
Indiana auto insurance benefits with Erie include:
- Animal insurance: Covers up to $500 per pet ($1,000 total for multiple pets) when an insured driver’s pet is injured in an accident
- Auto glass repair: Waiver of deductible for glass repair or replacement and includes wiper blades
- Personal Effects Coverage: Covers up to $350 of personal items damaged in an accident
- Erie Auto Plus: Increases coverage to include things like a decreasing deductible, a $10,000 death benefit, additional transportation cost coverage, and increased locksmith fee limits
Erie does not have a usage-based option for auto insurance in Indiana. However, it has a mobile application that allows you to view your insurance card and view the status of your claim.
To learn more about the car insurance provider, see our Erie car insurance review.
USAA auto insurance is only available to military members and their families, so a USAA policy is not an option for everyone. Eligible individuals should consider this provider due to its low cost, high customer satisfaction, and comprehensive coverage options. We think USAA is a great choice for drivers in most states and one of our top choices for car insurance in Indiana.
In the 2021 JD Power United States Automobile Insurance Study, USAA scored a total of 895 points out of 1,000 for the North Central region. This made USAA the highest-rated provider in the region, although it was not eligible for the rating because it is not available to all drivers.
The USAA also scores well in other rankings. In addition to earning 4.8 stars out of 5.0 in our USAA Auto Insurance Review, the company holds an A++ (Superior) financial strength rating from AM Best.
With USAA, Indiana drivers can find all types of coverage, from minimum required coverage to full and comprehensive policies. In addition to standard auto insurance, USAA offers:
- Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP): If you finance a vehicle, this protection covers the difference between what the car is worth and what is owed if your vehicle is declared a total loss after an accident.
- Car Replacement Assistance (ARC): The biggest difference between this plan and GAP insurance is that the CRA pays 20% more than the actual cash value of your vehicle.
Filing claims with USAA is simple using the USAA mobile app. Customers can take photos of the damage and may be able to receive claim authorization without having to schedule an inspection. Drivers can choose their mechanic of choice for repairs.
Country Financial is a mid-sized insurance provider available only in a handful of states. One such state is Indiana, where the company has a positive reputation for customer satisfaction. It ranked well in the North Central region in JD Power’s 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, scoring 850 points out of a possible 1,000.
Country Financial also gets high marks from us. We gave the company 4.2 stars out of 5.0 in our Country Financial auto insurance review. Although not accredited by the BBB, Country Financial holds an A+ rating.
Indiana drivers can purchase minimum or full coverage policies, including:
- standard coverage
- Safety glass cover
- Personal Effects Coverage
- Umbrella insurance policies
For auto insurance in Indiana, Country Financial can offer the cheapest options to eligible drivers with a wide range of potential discounts, such as:
- Discount on advance quote: Up to 12% off when you get a quote while your policy is still active
- Good driver discount: Up to 26% off for safe drivers with no accidents or tickets in the last three years
- just driveⓇ delivery: A safety course for young drivers that offers up to 10% off
- Fiancé couple discount: Up to 24% off for couples engaged in the year
- Legacy Discount: Up to 25% discount for children under 25 if parents qualify for multi-car and multi-policy discount
- Occupancy Discount: Up to 10% off for K-12 teachers, firefighters, police officers, EMTs and paramedics
Farmers ranked highly in our review of farmers insurance due to its strong reputation for customer service, discount opportunities, and comprehensive coverage options. Farmers is also highly rated by the BBB, where it holds an A- rating due to its established reputation, transparency and dedication to addressing customer concerns.
In addition to offering standard coverage options like Third Party Liability and Comprehensive Insurance for Indiana Drivers, Farmers also sells:
- New car replacement
- Forgiveness insurance in the event of an accident
- Tailor-made equipment protection
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Parts
- Loss of use coverage
- Guaranteed Value™
- Towing and road service
- Carpool coverage
- Personal umbrella insurance
- Window and windshield coverage
Farmers’ policies are made more affordable by a number of discount opportunities, including savings for good drivers, homeowners, good students, certain professions, and those with vehicle safety features. We think Farmers is an especially good choice for car insurance in Indiana for older drivers, who may be able to find the cheapest car insurance coverage from this provider.
Receive free, personalized quotes for Indiana auto insurance by entering your zip code below.