Deputy General Counsel, Corporate – Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and user-friendly, giving consumers the ability to buy now and pay later with no hidden fees or compound interest.
Affirm, Inc., is seeking an experienced and talented lawyer to join its lean and powerful legal team as Assistant General Counsel, Corporate. Based in San Francisco, this individual will report to the General Counsel and oversee corporate governance, employment, and mergers and acquisitions functions. Join us in our mission to change consumer credit through better technology, lower costs and increased transparency while delivering the best customer experience!
What you gonna do
- Lead the business, employment and ethics functions within the legal department.
- Provide strategic advice to senior management on legal issues related to governance and corporate structure.
- Establish and manage shareholder meeting processes, assisting in compliance and corporate governance practices, including developing documents for board and board committee meetings and taking minutes of board meetings. board and board committee meetings
- Oversee corporate governance for national and international subsidiaries
- Own administration of the equity plan, management of external legal advisers and support of special projects and financing operations as needed.
- Support our M&A, investment and corporate development activities, including the due diligence process, negotiation of final transaction terms and agreements, M&A playbooks and associated support projects.
- Provide supervision and advice on labor law issues.
- Develop strategies to expand legal support as the business grows
- Serve as a leader and mentor throughout the legal and compliance organization.
- Be a trusted advisor and leverage your subject matter knowledge to spark value-added dialogue and informed risk-based decisions related to corporate governance, structure, potential M&A activity and matters relating to the employment of Affirm.
- Coordinate as appropriate with management and internal and external legal advisors in dealing with governance, structural and other matters
- Identify and assess business and legal risks, and find creative ways to mitigate them while meeting business goals.
- Work on a range of complex legal, business and policy issues.
- Coordinate with the intellectual property department to ensure that negotiated documents sufficiently protect the company’s intellectual property.
- Help with special projects as needed.
- Other responsibilities might include reviewing, drafting, negotiating and interpreting a wide variety of commercial and financial contracts, leading or assisting in the negotiation of strategic transactions, managing litigation advice and assistance in human resources and employment.
What we are looking for
- JD diploma and member of the state bar in good standing
- More than 15 years of legal experience in corporate law, fintech, financial services
- Proven track record as a key member of a high performing team
- Curious and proactive in identifying legal issues and risks and proposing creative and effective solutions
- Proven track record of fostering relationships at all levels and operating by influence, with the confidence to formulate, defend and advance ideas
- Proven ability to create, develop and / or improve all types of corporate governance and policy management systems
- Experience developing and delivering well-designed executive presentations
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to negotiate, compromise and diplomatically in sensitive situations, and to interact effectively with senior management
- Highly disciplined, able to make independent decisions and work with limited supervision while excelling in a fast paced, dynamic and demanding environment
- Curious nature and comfort defying current practices
- Experience leading and implementing cross-functional initiatives, with the ability to collaborate with business and functional experts to provide risk assessment advice, recognize risks and improve design
- Strong people management and leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present complex issues in a clear and persuasive manner
- Passion for improving consumer credit products and customer experience
We are delighted to announce that Affirm is now a remote business! This role can be located anywhere in the United States and Canada (except Quebec). Remote-based employees can sometimes come to an Affirm office for meetings or team building events. Our offices in San Francisco, New York City, Pittsburgh, Chicago and Salt Lake City will remain operational and accessible to anyone on a voluntary basis.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
If you’ve made it to this point, we hope you feel excited about the job description you just read. Even if you think you do not meet all of the requirements, we still encourage you to apply. We look forward to meeting people who believe in Affirm’s mission and can contribute to our team in different ways – not just candidates who tick all the boxes.
At Affirm, “people first” is a core value and that is why diversity and inclusion are essential to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read more about our D&I program here and our progress to date in our 2019 D&I report.
We also believe “It’s On Us ”to provide an inclusive interview experience for everyone, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants who require one-on-one support during the hiring process.