Marshall, Gerstein & Borun Looking for Partner, Patent Agent or Technical Specialist – IPWatchdog.com
Marshall, Gerstein and Borun is seeking a talented Associate, Patent Agent or Technical Specialist to join our Electrical / IT practice group. This Full time, permanent position will be located in their Chicago, Illinois office.
Responsibilities will include:
- Interview inventors to learn more about new ideas to patent. Our customers include some of the world’s largest and most technologically advanced companies.
Prepare and prosecute patent applications, investigate and prepare non-infringement and invalidity opinions, occasionally participate in patent litigation to provide technical support and perform advisory duties to related clients.
- Associates will advocate for our clients before the US Patent Trademark Office to request the grant of a patent. This includes drafting and amending the claims of the patent application, as well as analyzing patents and other publications relating to high-tech inventions.
- This position requires the person, under the supervision of seasoned practitioners, assume significant responsibilities to clients, provide high quality services to domestic and foreign clients, communicate with all levels of management and staff and, at times, have need a significant degree of autonomy.
Strong academic credentials, including having graduated in the upper third of their law class and having obtained at least an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science or physics from one of the top 50 engineering schools. Applicants must have achieved a cumulative GPA of 3.0 at all levels of education.
Higher diplomas are a significant plus.
At least 2-4 years of experience in the preparation and prosecution of software patents
Licensed to practice law in Illinois (or licensed to practice law in another state and qualified to take the Illinois Bar Examination) and admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and exceptional organizational skills.
Patent agent / technical specialist titles:
- Strong academic credentials, which should include at a minimum an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science or physics from one of the top 50 engineering schools. Applicants must have obtained a cumulative GPA of 3.0 at all levels of education.
- Higher diplomas are a significant plus.
- At least two years of professional experience in the field of hardware and / or software and / or experience in the preparation and prosecution of patents
- An understanding of electronic commerce systems, financial systems, mobile phone applications, communication systems and / or process control systems is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and exceptional organizational skills.
- Compensation and Benefits:
Benefits and compensation:
Compensation for this position includes a highly competitive Chicago market annual salary for law firm partners or patent agents (based on level of experience), as well as the usual benefits and opportunities to earn important bonuses. Customary benefits include:
- Group medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible expense account for employees and dependents
- Health savings account
- Life insurance and AD&D
- Accident and critical illness plans
- Short Term Disability Program
- Long term disability insurance
- 401 (K), Profit Sharing and Acquisition
- Pre-tax transportation plan
- Identify theft protection
- Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary pet insurance
- Bright Horizons-Back-Up Care for Children, Adults and the Elderly
- Loan program without allowance and without interest
- Moving expenses
- Bar fees and related expenses
- Continuing legal education
- Leave and paid leave
In addition to our generous benefits program, Marshall, Gerstein & Borun offers a culture with excellent work-life balance in a business and relaxed atmosphere. Many opportunities for socializing among our colleagues are encouraged and appreciated during virtual happy hours and company-wide GoToMeeting or Zoom events. In addition, we look forward to the return of our monthly breakfasts, special occasion lunches, social gatherings and out of office functions when circumstances permit.
Interested qualified candidates:
Qualified individuals interested in this position should send a curriculum vitae, transcripts and writing samples to Sylvia Szewczyk.
Please mention that you found the position on the IPWatchdog JobOrtunitiesâ¢ Job vacancies table.
About Marshall Gerstein:
Marshall, Gerstein & Borun srl is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, as well as the recruitment, retention and advancement of the most talented and qualified professionals. We recognize that diversity at all levels of our firm and the collective strength of our differences enable us to better serve our clients, create lasting relationships, provide a platform for continued success, and improve both the dynamism and innovation of our working environment.
Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We adhere to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees on the basis of any legally prohibited factor, including, but not limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienation or citizenship status, marital or family status, domestic partner status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, sex, identity or expression of gender, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the candidate or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or victim status of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or harassment c criminal.
JobOrtunities Help Wanted IPWatchdog.com has been a trusted intellectual property resource for tens of millions of unique visitors for almost 2 decades. Recognized as one of the leading sources of news, information, analysis and commentary in the patent and innovation industries, IPWatchdog.com has grown to become the world’s largest online intellectual property publication. In 2020, IPWatchdog attracted 3,632,198 users, representing 4,119,229 sessions and 7,497,849 pageviews.
By posting your job in the IPWatchdog JobOrtunities â¢ help section, your job posting will likely be seen by more IP professionals than any other job posting website. So there is no better central place than here to let the IP community know that you have a vacancy.
The post will be published as a blog post, which means it will initially appear on our homepage among other more recent blog posts, it will be sent to our daily email newsletter the morning after its publication on IPWatchdog, and it will be shared on our social media profiles.
Posting on our JobOrtunities â¢ Help Wanted Job Board costs only $ 199 per post for 60 days and is posted for a highly targeted audience versus $ 395 per post on Monster.com for non-specific audiences.